Please click the email link above to inform me of inappropriate ad content. I promise to block them!
Free Knitting Pattern - Simple Stocking Hat
Fast, Simple, Frugal, Stylish
- US size 10 1/2 circular needles, 18 inch (optional for quicker knitting)
- 5 US size 10 1/2 dpn
- 1 skein Loops and Threads Impeccable Brand yarn (from Michaels), or similar gauge yarn
- stitch markers
- darning needle
- Roll yarn into two balls.
- Using two strands of yarn, cast on 68 stitches. Knit 30 rounds in single rib stitch.
- (Begin Decreasing). Keeping in rib, *k 7, k2tog, pm, k6, k2tog, pm, k 7, skspk2tog, pm, k6, skspk2tog, pm.* Repeat from * to *. (60 stitches)
- Next Round: *K to 2 stitches before marker, k2 tog.*. Repeat to the end of the round.
- Continue decreasing 2 stitches before marker, while keeping in rib. (You will knit twice in a row at the decrease, often. See explanation for skspk2tog.)
- Switch to dpn as needed. Reduce to 20 stitches. Next round: *K1, k2tog, k2tog*. Repeat around.
- Last round: *k2tog, k1*. Repeat around.
- For a top knot, continue knitting the final 8 stitches in a thick i-cord. Knit for 20 rounds. Cut and slip yarn tail through each stitch (using a darning needle). Sew in yarn ends. Tie the i-cord into a knot.
- For a classic top, continue decreasing, k2tog, all around until 1 stitch remains. Cut yarn tail and loop through the last stitch. Sew in yarn ends.
- For flair, add a flower or other embellishment.
Knitting Instructions Abbreviations and Explanations
- dpn: double pointed needles
- Single Rib Stitch: K1, P1
- k2tog: Knit two stitches together.
- skspk2tog: Slip the first stitch as if to knit. Slip the second stitch as if to purl. Knit the two together by placing the left-hand needle in the front of the slipped stitches on the right-hand needle. (The technique, which is similar to the slip, slip knit, allows for decreases in rib stitch while keeping the look consistent).
- I-cord: A small tube of work knit in the round.