Knitting Pattern - Adult Sized Hat and Scarf
- 2 skeins Lamb’s Pride Bulky (85% wool/15% mohair), shown in Blue Skyways M-230 (3 skeins total if making gloves)
- 5 US size 10 ½ double pointed needles
- Stitch markers, if desired
4 ½ stitches per inch; 4 rows per inch
Stocking Hat Knitting Instructions
Cast on 68 stitches. Knit 30 rounds in single rib stitch. Continue knitting in single rib. Begin decreasing:
- K7, k2tog, k6, k2tog, k7, skspk2tog, k6 skspk2tog, k7, k2tog, k6, k2tog, k7, skspk2tog, k6, skspk2tog (60 stitches)
- *K6, k2tog, k5, k2tog* (52 stitches)
- *K5, k2tog, k4, k2tog* (44 stitches)
- *K4, k3tog, k3, k2tog* (36 stitches)
- *K3, k2tog, k2, k2tog* (28 stitches)
- *K2, k2tog, k1, k3tog* (20 stitches)
- *K1, k2tog, k2tog* (12 stitches)
- K2tog, knitting between needles as necessary (3 stitches)
- K2tog until 1 stitch remains
Cut yarn and draw through the loop to secure. Sew in loose ends.
Scarf Knitting Instructions
Cast on 16 stitches. Complete scarf in single rib stitch. Knit for 63 inches (about 250 rows) or desired length. Bind off and sew in loose ends.
Knitting Instructions Abbreviations and Explanations
- Single rib Stitch: Keep the pattern in k1, p1. As you begin decreasing, you may have two knit stitches together at times. This will keep the
- SKSPK2tog: Slip the first stitch, as if to knit, onto the right hand needle. Slip the second stitch, as if to purl, onto the right hand needle. Stick the left hand needle into the front of the stitches and knit the two stitches together. This keeps the knit stitch in front to maintain the appearance of the single rib pattern.
- K2tog: Knit two stitches together at one time.
* * These signs are used to designate areas to be repeated. Repeat the stitches from * to * until the end of the round.