Please click the email link above to inform me of inappropriate ad content. I promise to block them!
Free Knitting Pattern - Beret, Mittens and Scarf
- 1 skein Lion’s Wool (100% wool) by Lion Brand Yarn, shown in Cadet Blue #110
- 2 skeins Lamb‘s Pride Bulky (85% wool/15% mohair), shown in Blue Skyways M-230
- 5 pairs US size 5 double pointed needles
- 5 pairs US size 10 ½ double pointed needles
- 1 pair US size 19 straight needles
- Stitch holder
Using 10 ½ needles and Lamb’s Pride yarn: 12 stitches per 4 inches
Using Lion’s Wool and size 5 needles in (K2,P2) rib: 21 stitches per 4 inches
Note: I originally knit this pattern with the lovely yarn pictured called "Ragdoll." It was, sadly, discontinued. So, I replaced it with Lamb's Pride.
Abbreviations and Explanations
K2tog = knit 2 together
P2tog = purl 2 together
* * = repeat from * to * until the end of the round
Rib = knit 2 stitches, purl 2 stitches until the end of the round
Garter stitch = straight knit stitch all around
Beret Knitting Instructions
Using Lion’s wool and size 5 needles, cast on 100 stitches. Divide stitches between 4 needles.
- Round 1: Using K2, P2 rib, join work in round.
- Rounds 2-8: Knit in rib.
- Round 9: *K8 (in rib), k2tog, k8 (in rib) p2tog* (90 stitches remain).
- Switch to size 10 ½ needles and Lamb’s Pride yarn.
- Round 10-25: Knit.
Begin decreasing by knitting together as directed. You may have to knit together stitches between needles at times.
- Round 26: *K13, k2tog* (84 stitches)
- Round 27: *K 12, k2tog* (78 stitches)
- Round 28: *K 11, k2tog* (72 stitches)
- Round 29: *K 10, k2tog* (66 stitches)
- Round 30: *K 9, k2tog* (60 stitches)
- Round 31: *K8, k2tog* (54 stitches)
- Round 32: *K7, k2tog* (48 stitches)
- Round 33: *K6, k2tog* (42 stitches)
- Round 34: *K5, k2tog* (36 stitches)
- Round 35: *K4, k2tog* (30 stitches)
- Round 36: *K3, k2tog* (24 stitches)
- Round 37: *K2, k2tog* (18 stitches)
- Round 38: *K1, k2tog* (12 stitches)
Continue k2tog until 1 stitch remains. Tie off and sew in loose ends.
Mittens Knitting Instructions
Using size 5 needles, cast on 32 stitches. Distribute 8 stitches per needle onto 4 needles.
- Rounds 1-9: Join in round and knit in rib.
- Round 10: K2tog at the beginning of each needle and p2tog at the end of each needle (23 stitches).
- Round 11-13: Switch to Lamb’s Pride Yarn and 10 ½ needles. Knit straight.
Begin increase as shown:
- Round 14: *Knit 5, increase in between 5th and 6th stitches, knit 7, increase between the 7th and 8th stitch* (28 stitches)
- Rounds 15-18: Knit
- Round 19: *Knit 5, increase between the 5th and 6th stitch, knit 9, increase between the 9th and 10th stitches* (32 stitches)
- Rounds 20-23: Knit
- Round 24: Knit until 4 stitches remain. Separate the last 4 stitches on needle 4 and the first 5 stitches on needle 1 onto a stitch holder.
Divide remaining 23 stitches onto 3 needles (8 stitches, 8 stitches, 7 stitches). Join work on the 3 needles.
- Rounds 25-39: Knit
- Round 40: Knit until the last stitch remains. K2tog with the 1st stitch of needle 1.
- Round 41: K9, k2tog, k9, k2tog
- Round 42: K8, k2tog, k8, k2tog
- Round 43: K7, k2tog, k7, k2tog
Bind off with Kitchener’s stitch.
Thumb Knitting Instructions
Pick up 3 stitches around the open edge. Knit around joining in stitches from holder. Distribute 4 stitches per 3 needles as you knit.
- Rounds 1-6: Knit
- Round 7: Knit until the last stitch remains. K2tog with the 1st stitch on needle 1.
- Round 8: K5, k2tog, k4
- Round 9: K2tog, k3, k2tog
Balance stitches onto 2 needles. Bind off with Kitchener’s stitch and sew in loose ends.
Scarf Knitting Instructions
Using Lamb's Pride yarn and size 19 needles, cast on 6 stitches. Knit in garter stitch until work measures 65 inches (or desired length). Bind off. Sew in loose ends. Using Lion’s wool, make tassles and tie on the edge.