Knitting Pattern - Adult Gloves
- 1-2 skeins Lamb’s Pride Bulky (85% wool/15% mohair), shown in Blue Skyways M-230 (3 skeins total if making the hat and scarf)
- 5 US size 10 ½ double pointed needles
- 1-3 stitch holders
- Stitch Markers, if desired
4 ½ stitches per inch; 4 rows per inch
Glove Knitting Instructions
(Make two alike.)
Cast on 20 stitches. Divide stitches between four needles. Knit in the rib stitch for 10 rounds.
Begin increase, using m1 option 1:
- M1, k10, m1, k10 (22 stitches)
- M1, k11, m1, k11 (24 stitches)
- Knit two straight rounds.
- M1, k12, m1, k12 (26 stitches)
- M1, k13, m1, k13 (28 stitches)
- Knit two straight rounds.
- M1, k14, m1, k14 (30 stitches)
- M1, k15, m1, k15 (32 stitches)
- Knit two rounds straight
- M1, k16, m1, k16 (34 stitches)
- M1, k17, m1, k13 (36 stitches)
Separate last 4 stitches of the last needle and the first 4 stitches of the first needle for the thumb. Join remaining stitches together. Knit 5 rounds. Shift all stitches onto 2 needles (or stitch holders). Separate evenly as if for the palm and top of the hand. Begin fingers, using m1 option 2 :
Pointer Finger Knitting Instructions
Work with stitches closest to thumb opening. Place 4 stitches from the front needle and 3 stitches from the back needle onto 2 separate working needles. Use third needle to knit. K4, M1, K3 (8 stitches). Knit 12 more rounds in pattern.
Cast off by either removing stitches from the needle and lacing yarn through the middle of each stitch.
Middle Finger Knitting Instructions
Place 3 stitches from the front needle and 4 stitches from the back needle onto 2 separate working needles. Pick up one stitch in the side of the pointer finger (to close the gap). Knit remaining stitches in pattern (8 stitches). Knit 12 more rounds. Cast off as directed above.
Ring Finger Knitting Instructions
Place 4 stitches from the front needle and 3 stitches from the back needle onto 2 separate working needles. K4, m1, k3 (8 stitches). Knit 12 more rounds in pattern. Cast off as directed above.
Pinky Knitting Instructions
Use remaining stitches. Pick up 1 stitch from the side of the ring finger, k3, k4 (8 stitches). Knit 8 more rounds. Cast off as directed above.
Thumb Knitting Instructions
Place stitches from the stitch holder onto 2 separate working needles. Pick up 2 stitches from the side of the glove, knit around in pattern (10 stitches). Knit 9 more rounds. Cast off as directed above.
Sew in all loose ends. Sew together the opening between the middle and ring fingers.
Abbreviations and Explanations for Knitting Gloves
K: Though k generally refers to knit, in this pattern it represents both knit and purl stitches. Knit the knit stitches. Purl the purl stitches.
M1: Make one. This pattern uses two methods for increasing.
- Option 1: Place the left hand needle under the horizontal bar between the 2 stitches (from front to back). Use the right hand needle to pick up the back side of the new stitch and knit. Option 1 is used on the hand of the glove.
- Option 2: Increase into the stitch on the back needle. Knit as normal, but do not drop the stitch. Instead, knit the back of the stitch, as well. Then, drop the stitch as usual. There should be two new stitches on the right needle instead of one. Option 2 is used on the fingers of the glove.