Free Knitting Pattern
Checkers Game Board
August 24, 2012
Needles: US size 8
Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver brand, or similar gauge
(Gauge on package is 17 sts and 23 rows to 4 inches with size 8 needles.)
1. Using mc, cast on 50 stitches.
2. K4 mc, k6cc, *k6 mc, k6 cc,* repeat once, k6 mc, k7 cc.
3. P7 cc, p6 mc, *p6 cc, p6 mc,* repeat once, p6 cc, p7 mc.
4. Repeat rows 2 and 3 three times.
5. Switch color positions. Knit in cc over mc and in mc over cc. Knit in SS for 4 rows.
6. Switch colors every 5th row six more times. (You will have 8 rows of squares.)
7. Bind off in blue.
1. With wrong side facing, pick up 49 stitches across top of work.
2. P 1 row.
3. K 5 rows.
4. Bind off.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 at the bottom of the work.
6. With wrong side facing, pick up 48 stitches on the side of work, (including 4 per edge at top and bottom borders). P 1 row. K 5 rows. Bind off.
1. Cast on 50 stitches.
2. Knit in SS for 76 rows.
3. Bind off.
Tuck in loose ends. Sew backing to the board.
Find some draughts and play! I used recycled game pieces for mine.
ss: stockinette stitch (knit one row, purl the next, repeat)
mc: main color
cc: contrast color
Happy Checker Board Knitting!